On Our Radar: Lt. Uhura, Minimum Wage, and the Case Against Kids
Still recovering from your Dinah Shore weekend? Here's some reading to get you caught up:
- The American Society of Magazine Editors announced their finalists for the National Magazine Awards, and their numbers are pretty lacking when it comes to gender diversity. On Feministing, Maya lists some great magazine journalism that should have been included—including Emi Koyama's piece "Trade Secrets: The Tough Talk of the New Anti-Trafficking Movement" from Bitch!
- Also on Feministing, it's the one year anniversary of slutwalk and victim-blaming is still not okay.
- Diamond engagement rings were originally insurance policies for jilted brides for having lost their virginities—Matthew O'Brien looks at how far the tradition has come in the Atlantic .
- On the Ms. Blog, Barbara McCaskill traces the history of black women turning grief into activism.
- How many hours a week does someone need to work making minimum wage to make rent? (Surprise, surprise, 40 hours doesn't cut it ANY state!)
- Nichelle Nichols (that's Lieutenant Uhura to you) met President Obama this week and took this amazing photo.
- Catharsis: Trans Women's Stories of Sexual Violence is seeking written submissions from trans women who are willing to share their experiences of sexual violence and assault.
- Did you see Beyoncé's new Tumblr? Do you care?
- The New Yorker's Elizabeth Kolbert makes a case against kids.
- Ann Powers explores how Madonna and Nicki Minaj have to balance both feminine and masculine gender roles as pop stars.
- Alyssa Rosenberg has a couple answers to the question "What's Wrong With This Picture Illustrating Vanity Fair's Women in Television Article?" at Think Progress.
- If you couldn't see Girl Talk: A Trans & Cis Woman Dialogue in San Francisco over the weekend, don't worry! Emily Manuel's talk is up on Tiger Beatdown, where you can find links to the other speakers on Vimeo.
Tell us what you're reading in the comments!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Preacher's Daughter: The Mountain Goats' John Darnielle and that Goddamn Rush of Adrenaline and BloodTed (not verified)
ChristyM123 (not verified)
Lindsay Anne (not verified)
Michael Andersen (not verified)
Sheila (not verified)