On Our Radar: Jay-Z, Amy Poehler, and the Mom-in-Chief
Another week, another roundup!
- You've read Zadie Smith's On Beauty, now read her On Jay-Z [New York Times]
- Having trouble coming to terms with Amy Poehler and Will Arnett's divorce? Bitch contributor Anne Helen Peterson explains why that might be. [Celebrity Gossip, Academic Style]
- Only two days left to help the Lakota Sioux raise funds to purchase the sacred land Pe'Sla in the Black Hills. Contribute now! [indiegogo]
- What did you think of Michelle Obama saying her most important job was "Mom in Chief"? Irin Carmon thinks you should cut her some slack. [Slate]
- Women and Hollywood has a short Q&A profile on many of the women directors at the Toronto Film Festival, happening on this week. [IndieWire]
- Victoria's Secret is going to new heights of offensiveness with a gross new collection called "Go East," inspired by an imaginary exotic and erotic "Eastern culture." Yikes. [Racialicious]
- bell hooks has a must-read response to the film Beasts of the Southern Wild. [New Black Man (in Exile)]
- Looking for music to recommend to your younger sister/daughter/niece/friend? Pop culture kid site A Mighty Girl just launched a music section! [A Mighty Girl]
- Thomas Page McBee takes on some recent problematic coverage of trans people in the media, including the New Yorker's profile of the Wachowski siblings. [SF Weekly]
- Check out these film projects that need your help! Negrita is a film exploring Afro-Latina identity and representation; Who Owns My Body? is a documentary discussing black women and body image, reproductive justice, and sexuality; Barista follows a woman who can't leave her Starbucks job after learning she has MS; Our Reality is a series of short documentaries that tell the stories of teen/young parents in their own words (and backers can get a Bitch subscription!)
What's on your radar this week? Let us know in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!