On Our Radar: Beyoncé Loves Michelle Obama, Rachel Maddow's Coming to Portland, and Teyonah Parris Talks Mad Men!
It's Friday the 13th! We're not superstitious or anything, but these links are bound to bring you good luck (or at least some weekend reading material):
- Bitch editorial director and co-founder Andi Zeisler was on Chicago's WBEZ this week talking about...the b-word!
- The Guardian covers how female-centered television dramas are becoming increasingly popular in the UK.
- At Rookie, Jamia Wilson shares her story of how she came to stop dreading her dreads.
- PBS is making a new documentary on the life of Gone with the Wind author, Margaret Mitchell.
- Vulture interviews Teyonah Parris about playing Sterling Cooper Draper Price's first black employee. And here's another interview with her for the LA Times!
- On the Awl, Lucy Madison talks about How 25 National Magazine Award Nominations Went To 25 Male Writers.
- Hey girl, Rachel Maddow is speaking this Sunday here in Portland!
- Roxane Gay has a moving piece at The Rumpus on strong women and The Hunger Games (trigger warning for sexual assault).
- Eleanor Ray deconstructs RISUG/Vasalgel, the best male contraception you've never heard of, on The Hairpin.
- "A writers' retreat for hackers?" Yes please! Check out Etsy's Hacker School, a 3-month long program (with grants available!) for women hackers.
- Rebecca Traister talks female friendships on HBO's Girls.
- Beyoncé posted a hand-written open letter to Michelle Obama commending her on being an "example of a truly strong African American woman" on her Tumblr. FLOTUS responded with an adorable tweet.
- Speaking of Bey's Tumblr, Anne Helen Peterson has some thoughts on what makes it so compelling.
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
HP (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Anonymous1 (not verified)
Shakinboots (not verified)