On Our Radar
Here's what we've been reading this week:
- Feministing tackles the media's coverage of Whitney Houston's death which showed another successful female artist's death related to drugs and fame: the age-old "narrative that as a woman, you can’t have it all."
- The Athena Film Festival wrapped up this week: check out Huffington Post's take on the festival and the importance of women and filmmaking.
- Chris Brown performed at the Grammys on Sunday: what does it say that pop culture is so ready to forgive domestic violence?
- Do you remember our interview with Queer Rock Camp last year? Well, it looks like Queer Rock Camp will be offering the first Queer Adult Rock Camp in Seattle this summer. If you're in the NW, hurry and sign up!
- The Mamafesto responds to the ridiculous absence of women on the congressional panel on birth control.
- Don't forget that Black Herstory month is ongoing at the Ms. Blog.
- At Global Comment, Bitch contributor Chally reflects on normative love for Valentine's Day.
- This Bay Area event looks amazing! Tickets now available for Girl Talk: A Trans and Cis Woman dialogue curated by Gina de Vries, Elena Rose, and Julia Serano.
- At the Feminist Wire, Aishah Shahidah Simmons, Darnell L. Moore, & Kenyon Farrow write about who isn't calling out Roland Martin for his homophobic tweets (and who is, but doing it wrong).
- Gawker calls Virginia's New Ultrasound Law "sexual assault" as it would force women to get "transvaginal ultrasounds" before abortions.
- Check out Melissa Harris Perry's new show which starts on Saturday on MSNBC.
- Slate covers one woman's experience of post-natal care in France.
- Know any female journalists? GOOD has suggested a campaign to fight the growing gender gap for women in media by asking people to promote women through networking. Check out the twitter response: #promotewomen
Tell us what you are reading in the comments!
Comments3 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
kathleen (not verified)
Marklo (not verified)
Nuni (not verified)
Nuni (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)