On Our Radar: Responding to the Hunger Games Racists, Boycotting Katy Perry, and META mag!
Here's what we've been reading this week:
- Issa Rae responds to racist tweets following her web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl's Shorty Award win on xoJane. (Read Rae's Bitch interview here.)
- Bim Adewunmi at Comment is Free tackles the racist response to The Hunger Games and why sadyly, she isn't surprised.
- META magazine is a new digital publication from the UK covering trans and genderqueer issues—get yours on iTunes!
- Feministing wonders if Facebook enabling eating disorders.
- Latoya Peterson has posted a requiem for the website Sepia Mutiny at Racialicious and also reflects on the state of independent blogs.
- SNL has hired a new female castmember, Kate McKinnon. You might recognize Kate from her sketch series Vag Magazine a web series where a group of feminists take over a woman's magazine.
- Andrea Plaid reminds us the importance of abortion rights and awareness for women over 40 on RH Reality Check.
- Buzzfeed has a "lady dictionary" to help define the necessity of placing the word "lady" in front of everything.
- Melissa Harris-Perry comments on the acceptable dress code for black men following Trayvon Martin's death, and at Colorlines, Kai Wright has a must-read on being a black male in America.
- Naomi Wolf is calling for a ban on Katy Perry. What?
- Bitchflicks has a list of some of the best woman-centered film biopics ever made.
Comments6 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Lydia Fred (not verified)
Jered (not verified)
Cbrat13 (not verified)
Peg (not verified)