On Our Radar
Start your weekend off right: with compelling articles from around the web!
- Bitch contributor s.e. smith discusses asexuality on Tiger Beatdown.
- Katha Pollitt writes for The Nation about the DC Abortion Fund and the right's vendetta against Planned Parenthood. (via AlterNet)
- ColorLines shares three scholars' thoughts on fighting homophobia in hip-hop.
- Check out journalist Barbie Latza Nadeau's piece at The Daily Beast about reporting on sexism in Italy.
- In These Times interviews Sady Doyle, founder of Tiger Beatdown and Bitch contributor, about blogging and online activism.
- Jill at Feministe hopes everyone who celebrates had a happy feminist Passover.
- As the New York Times searches for a new columnist, Feministing has a plea: "Don't hire another white dude!"
- The Root interviews our recent Bitch High Five candidate Joycelyn Elders, who was forced to resign for saying sex ed should include information about masturbation.
- We're keeping our fingers crossed for the Uniting American Families Act, "a bill which would allow same-sex couples to sponsor their partners for legal residency in the U.S."
- 90s Woman praises Heather Corinna's book S.E.X.: The All-You-Need-To-Know Progressive Sexuality Guide to Get You Through High School and College. I'm personally a fan as well, and we have a copy in the Bitch Media Community Lending Library!
- One year after the BP oil spill, Ms. talks about the danger of the status quo as explored in Antonia Juhasz's new book about the disaster, Black Tide.
- Also at Ms., look at this profile of Bitch contributor Mandy Van Deven's, Joanne Smith's and Meghan Huppuch's group, Girls for Gender Equity, and book, Hey, Shorty! A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets.
- Shakesville shares an excellent quote by Ms. Geena Davis about the power of gendered media images.
- Nick at Original Plumbing reflects powerfully on reconnecting with family members.
- At the ACLU blog, one rockin' woman recalls confronting a street harasser.
- Bad news: QUILTBAG-oriented site Queerty has "come to a close."
What have you been reading? Share away!
Comments3 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Eliza A. Kent (not verified)