On Our Radar
Everyone have a good International Women's Day/Feminist Coming Out Day? Check out these compelling links from this week, and feel free to share your stories below!
- Andrea Grimes at HAY LADIES! and Shelby Knox at change.org encourage us to demand an apology from the author of the horribly irresponsible New York Times article about an eleven-year-old rape victim. Over at the Rumpus, Roxane Gay speaks poignantly about the article and its connections to rape culture.
- Excited for the new collection Feminism for Real: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism, edited by Jessica Yee and featuring Latoya Peterson and Andrea Plaid? Us too! Read excerpts now at Racialicious!
- Also at Racialicious, Latoya writes about tokenism, the blogosphere, and book deals in "On Being Feminism's 'Ms. Nigga.'"
- Halle Kiefer responds to worries about the ephemerality of pop culture jokes on Splitsider.
- Sady Doyle of Tiger Beatdown writes about poet Diane Di Prima for Autostraddle!
- At Colorlines, Jamilah King reports on Cairo's Million Woman March, which overcame anti-feminist protesters.
- Also at Colorlines, Jamilah discusses the saddening need for the upcoming International Anti-Street Harassment Day.
- Still celebrating International Women's Day? Same here! Check out this list of IWD-related pieces from around the world, compiled by Bitch contributor Chally Kacelnik for Feministe!
- Beth Saunders shares the latest in bad abortion-restriction news at RH Reality Check.
- In good news, Renee at Womanist Musings reports that trans* prisoners in the United Kingdom are now allowed to dress to match their gender identity!
- At The Good Men Project Magazine, Amanda Marcotte explains how the more the wrongheaded Men's Right Activists sometimes recognize actual problems. Their solution? More feminism, natch! (via Feministing)
- Erica Payne at the Huffington Post talks about Wal-Mart vs. Dukes, calling the equal pay-focused case "one of the most important civil rights cases in the country's history."
Comments1 comment has been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Abby Lorenzo (not verified)
miffty (not verified)
joana (not verified)
AON (not verified)
Bannef (not verified)