On Our Radar
It's that time again! We're rounding up some of the most interesting
things we read this week in the another edition of On Our Radar.
- With the release of Forbes' list of the top 100 Websites For Women, Renee Martin of Womanist Musings writes on the incredible lack of blogs by women of color, trans women, and disabled women.
- Shelby Knox reflects on body image and feminism after modeling for a mainstream women's magazine.
- Over at Racialicious, Safa Samiezade'-Yazd writes on the politics of curly hair.
- Bitch contributor Tammy Oler reviews the fantastic-sounding new science-fiction film Splice. The film, about a pair of scientists that secretly engineer a "gene splice, mutant test-tube baby" win's Oler's praises through, among other things, its strong female lead and its interesting evocation of gender.
- U.S. Social Forum National Coordinator Adrienne Maree Brown talks to Democracy Now!'s Mike Burke about the forum and science-fiction writer Octavia Butler.
- Irin Carmon investigates the "boy's club" that is The Daily Show on Jezebel.
- For more on sexism in comedy, take a look at Lisa Wade's analysis of "comedy as a masculinized, heterosexualized space" on Sociological Images.
- Watch out, non-dude citizens of Charlotte, North Carolina! Misty at Shakesville presents us with America's Manliest City, brought to you by the extensive research of Combos Snacks.
- Via Feministing: Katie Couric interviews Gloria Steinem and Women's Media Center president Jehmu Greene on her CBS News web show @katiecouric.
- Threadbared has a call for submissions for the exhibit An Other Fashion: Claiming America through Dress, which seeks to find "hidden histories stashed in the basements and attics, in the backs of closets, and in lesser-known personal and institutional archives of and about women of color."
Find something that piqued your interest this week? Leave it in the
Comments7 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
mergers and acquisitions services (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)