On Our Radar
Covert missive from Bitch HQ, bringing you the best and brightest from our travels on the interwebs this week.
- We're all abuzz over the NYT piece published Tuesday about Afghani girls who dress (and pass) as boys until they hit puberty (and sometimes beyond). The XX Factor and Sociological Images also mentioned it.
- From Boing Boing, this discussion of viewing video games through a critical lens. Are they art, or aren't they?
- At Muslimah Media Watch, Arwa Aburawa analyzes the UK edition of Marie Claire in its coverage of Muslim women. Spoiler alert: the stats are less depressing than you'd think!
- Back to gaming: The Geek Symposium highlights some lowlights in the history of women in video games. This article sparked some serious debate at the intern table over our feelings toward Princess Peach.
- Indonesian legislator Bambang Bayu Suseno is arguing in the Jakarta Post that girls should undergo vriginity testing before they're allowed to attend public school. Courtney at Feministing has some words for him.
- Sociological Images featured this children's t-shirt earlier this week, made by X Games Clothing, which casually mentions "drive-by egging transvestites" as "fun shit." We've got our Douchebag Decree eye on you, ESPN...
- In more affirming news, a Florida appeals court held that the state's ban on gay adoption is unconstitutional, and Governor Charlie Crist immediately said the ban would no longer be enforced. Crist has changed his position on the ban since deciding to run for a Senate seat as an Independent (instead of Republican). The Broadsheet is stoked.
- Akimbo, the blog for the International Women's Health Coalition, is doing a series of film reviews that relate to the Millenium Development Goals being discussed by the UN in New York this week.
- To wrap things up (ha!!), Anna North at Jezebel reminds us that it's National Sexual Freedom Day. I think you know what to do.
What's on your radar this week? Leave us a comment!
Comments7 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Latchmie (not verified)
Maggie88 (not verified)
I wasn't talking about Nicole's advice (not verified)
Pop Culture Enthusiast (not verified)