May: The Merry, Merry Month of Masturbation!
May is National Masturbation Month! Here it is May 18 already, and I am just learning about this celebration now. Where have I been?
I hope you were more enlightened than me on this, but in case you weren't, let's make up for lost time! Here are some National Masturbation Month fun facts, and some great links to get you celebrating! (And by celebrating, of course, I mean masturbating. Hey, it's more fun than your cousin's graduation, right?)
- National Masturbation Month was started by Good Vibrations in 1995, to protest the firing of sex-positive U.S. Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders (Elders suggested that - gasp! - masturbation should be a part of sex education)
- Every year in San Francisco there is a Masturbate-A-Thon to raise awareness and funds for safe, accurate, comprehensive sex education. Fun fact: The record-holder in this event masturbated for 9 hours and 58 minutes straight! Now there is a dedicated philanthropist.
Update! There is also a Masturbate-A-Thon happening in Portland on May 30, so it's not too late to get your wank on for a good cause! Also, there are a few international Masturbate-A-Thons happening this month. Get out there and lend a hand! (pun intended, of course)
- Good Vibrations not only started this month-o'-masturbating, they also have a great Sex Ed 101 site, with advice on everything from masturbation tips to anatomy diagrams. Learning really can be fun!
- In honor of National Masturbation Month, The Frisky has a great article debunking common myths surrounding women and masturbation. For example, vibrators do not desensitize your clitoris, no matter how often you use them. (Good news, right?)
- Think you're a semi-professional masturbator? Test your skills with this masturbation quiz!
- Sex advice-giver Dan Savage has a great weekly podcast that is both entertaining and informative. Where else could I have learned about grammar fetishists?
So Happy National Masturbation Month everyone! It's good to know that there are so many sex-positive folks out there who are dedicating themselves to normalizing masturbation for all of us. It's fun, it's safe, and it's cheaper than going to a movie (and during this recession, every penny counts). What's not to celebrate?
Do you have any fun facts or masturbation resources to share? If so, put them in the comments section! (If you can free up a hand from "celebrating," that is.)
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
ner456 (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Asliani (not verified)
Jessica Goodman (not verified)