Mad World: What Liquor Ads Teach Us About Guys
Liquor ads capitalize on some of the worst (socialized) masculine traits, glamorize them, and sell these behaviors back to us–encouraging and promoting sexism.
Related links and articles:
- Spin The Bottle: Sex, Lies & Alcohol by Jackson Katz and Jean Kilbourne
- Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel by Jean Kilbourne
- Collection of posts from Sociological Images about alcohol advertising.
- Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center by bell hooks (as mentioned in the video)
- To learn about control mythologies and how to change the narrative read Re:Imagining Change: How to Use Story-based Strategy to Win Campaigns, Build Movements and Change the World by By Doyle Canning and Patrick Reinsborough
Full transcript available at Full transcript available at www.FeministFrequency.com! Anita Sarkeesian is a feminist media literacy advocate, pop culture critic and fair use proponent. She maintains an ongoing web series of video commentaries from a fangirl/feminist/anti-oppression perspective at her website www.FeministFrequency.com.
This project was made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities (OH), a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds OH's grant program. Any views, findings, and conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Oregon Humanities or the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Comments5 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Jacob (not verified)
JaneQPublic (not verified)
ConnieJH (not verified)