Mad World: No Girls Allowed: File Sharing Culture and BitTorrent
Every time I go to download files from a BitTorrent tracker site I am constantly bombarded with ads for sex/dating sites or straight up pornography and I'm sick of it. Women are engaging in online technologies as well and we are repetitively told that we don't belong.
BitTorrent (n.): a file sharing protocol used to distribute large files BitTorrent tracker site (n.): is a server that assists in the communication between peers using the BitTorrent protocol Related Links and Articles:
- Video lecture by Mark Pesce "Piracy is Good? How Battlestar Galactica Killed Broadcast TV" (bittorrent download is available on the bottom of the page)
- This blog post is where I got my stats: "Dreadfully Few Women Are Open Source Developers"
- For readings on pornography check out Gail Dines' latest book Pornland: How Porn has Hijacked our Sexuality or Robert Jensen's Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity
- Geek Feminism is a great blog that supports, encourages, and discusses issues facing women in geek communities
- Of Geeks and Girls is a study exploring how traditional male geek spaces affect women's interest and participation in computer science
- For more about BitTorrent check out wikipedia, or this article
Anita Sarkeesian is a feminist media literacy advocate, pop culture critic and fair use proponent. She maintains an ongoing web series of video commentaries from a fangirl/feminist/anti-oppression perspective at her website www.FeministFrequency.com. This project was made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities (OH), a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds OH's grant program. Any views, findings, and conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Oregon Humanities or the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Comments26 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!