Mad World: Is the Bayonetta Campaign Innovative Advertising or Sexual Harassment Training?
The widely popular video game Bayonetta boasts an advertising campaign that rivals the onscreen sexism of the game itself. In Tokyo, a large billboard in the subway invited passersby to literally strip off flyers to reveal Bayonetta naked underneath. The campaign perpetuates and encourages sexual and physical harassment against women, an epidemic in Japan (and many other countries, including the United States). Check it out:
Related Links and Articles:
- High Rates of Street Harassment in Korea and Japan and Video Game Allows Subway Groping and Worse from the blog Stop Street Harassment
- Harassment on Public Transportation is No Joke from Gender Across Borders
- In Anonymous Packed Train Lurk Gropers from The Japan Times
Links to Bayonetta Billboard Images:
- Ads with flyer on body: Ad 1 and Ad 2 (it appears to be a mock up of the ad campaign)
- Ads with the flyers removed and images of the cards
- Example of screen cast of Bayonetta naked
Full transcript available at www.FeministFrequency.com. This video has English subtitles on YouTube and is available to be translated at DotSub into many different languages. Please help reach global audiences by translating!
Anita Sarkeesian is a feminist media literacy advocate, pop culture critic and fair use proponent. She maintains an ongoing web series of video commentaries from a fangirl/feminist/anti-oppression perspective at her website www.FeministFrequency.com.
This project was made possible in part by a grant from Oregon Humanities (OH), a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds OH's grant program. Any views, findings, and conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Oregon Humanities or the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Comments5 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
al oof (not verified)
EK (not verified)
Rob (not verified)
Clarissa Russell (not verified)