"Leave Michelle Obama Alone With Your Random-Ass Opinions"
Jay Smooth and his cat, telling it like it is.
Jay Smooth (who has been posting two videos a week lately—hooray!) has a new PSA up today on why the media should stop freaking out over Michelle Obama's love of Beyoncé:
The video is largely in response to this HuffPo article by Kelli Goff. In it, Goff argues that Michelle Obama may have hurt her husband's 2012 chances when she said that if she could be anyone in the world she'd want to be Beyoncé. Like many people, I was super charmed when I read that, especially since I love the Beyoncé + Michelle Obama Mutual Admiration Society that's been blowing up the Internet lately. It's awesome to see two of the coolest women in America support each other and openly admire one another! What's not to love?
Well, Goff doesn't exactly love it, saying, "If Beyoncé is making the choice to position herself as a role model for young, impressionable girls, she should keep that in mind the next time she shows up on an internationally photographed red carpet in a see-through gown." Jay Smooth is calling shenanigans though.
A few choice quotes from his video:
- "When you see someone on TV whose opinion seems kinda undercooked, that might not be because they're unintelligent. It might be because they woke up this morning like, "Oh God, I need a provocative, Gawker-style opinion by 2 pm or I'm toast!"
- "It's straight-up wrong to be making fun of Beyoncé because she didn't graduate from high school. That's something we should admire her for overcoming."
- "The Bossip.com comments section does not count as polling data!"
- "I'm gonna assume this writer doesn't really believe people are gonna change their vote because the First Lady tacitly endorsed booty shaking."
- "It's really REALLY unfair to do some sort of slut-shaming by association on Michelle Obama. Out of all the people!"
- "Someone like Michelle Obama or Beyoncé has more than enough stress being one of the most prominent, the most scrutinized black women in America. The last thing they need is to get caught in the crossfire of our random-ass 'we need to meet a deadline' political opinions."
So great, right? I can't wait until Michelle Obama is the President and she picks Beyoncé as her VP and Jay Smooth as her Secretary of State. Obama/Knowles 2016!
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Harness (not verified)
angel-girl (not verified)
courtney_autumn (not verified)
chicago (not verified)
JX (not verified)