On Our Radar: Feminist News Roundup
Here's all the news that's on our radar today!
• Illinois becomes the 15th state to allow same-sex marriages! [Chicago Tribune]
• Germany’s new third-gender law that gives an alternative to declaring babies male or female on their birth certificates may seem positive, but it was not written with any input from intersex activists and it may actually put intersex babies in more danger. [The Advocate]
• La Luz, a great female surf band that Bitch reviewed for our next print issue, was in a serious car accident this week, totaling their van, destroying their gear, and causing injuries to the band members. If you want to help them out, they have a Paypal account set up here. [Seattle Weekly]
• If you’re in New York, you can go see bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry talk about “race, black womanhood, politics, media, and love.” Sounds like a talk you won’t want to miss! [The New School]
• Are young workers entering a post-employment economy that values profit over people? [Al Jazeera]
• The Human Rights Campaign’s recently announced that they’re going international – but are they just going to end up doing “colonialism done in the name of saviorism”? Here’s a breakdown of why the HRC is not the best LGBT organization to reach out. [Autostraddle]
• So, it turns out that at least two 13-year-old girls did in fact come forward two years ago to report alleged rapes by the New Zealand “Roast Busters,” but the were made to feel it was their fault and their complaints were dismissed by police. [3 News]
• 2013 marks a historical high point for black-centric films, but that number should be Hollywood’s regular output, not an anomaly. [HuffPost]
• Read up on the all the work that immigration activists have been doing lately. [ColorLines]
What's on your radar? Share in the comments!
Comments6 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
HP (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Anonymous1 (not verified)
Shakinboots (not verified)