On Our Radar: Willow Smith, the C-word, World AIDS Day, and WAM!'s benefit auction
We've got boat loads for you to dig into this week. From Willow Smith and Tavi Gevinson to dating customs and some organizations well worth your time, this week's On Our Radar is jam-packed! Read on...
- Does she wip her hair back and forth, even while it's buzzed? We think so. Jada Pinkett Smith responds to why she "let" Willow Smith shave her head. #girlpower [Huffington Post]
- Here at Bitch, we love the B-word. Curious about the C-word? Read about its history here. [Ms. Magazine]
- Speaking of vaginas, did you catch that episode of New Girl where Jess freaks out about her fertility? Here's why you shouldn't do the same. [Slate]
- Tavi Gevinson talks to Collectors Weekly about feminism, nostalgia, and teen culture, and is predictably smart and precocious. [Collectors Weekly]
- Deciding who pays for what on a date can be tricky. Here's a recap of an AOL video outlining the author's take on picking up the tab. [Feministe]
- Read this great profile of past Bitch blog contributor Jessica Danforth and her incredible work in in sexual-health activism . [Scarleteen]
- Don't buy that "post-racial society" crap? Neither do we. Check out this petition calling out a New York Times art critic for blatantly racist and sexist commentary. Ugh. [Colorlines]
- A few years back, an eleven-year-old girl was brutally gang raped by over 20 men. Roxane Gay reports on the story, its coverage, and what it means to be eleven. [The Rumpus]
- World AIDS Day is on December 1st. Upworthy features a video by MTV of a girl telling her friend she is HIV-positive. Remember to get tested regularly. [Upworthy]
- Have you questioned the magazines you read lately? Here's a thoughtful (and biting) critique of Harper's and the Atlantic through a gender lens. [n+1]
- Spectra shares tips and thoughts on increasing media diversity after the London Feminist Film Festival (bonus: great movie recommendations!). [Spectra Speaks]
Also, four organizations need your help:
- The Crunk Feminist Collective is raising funds for their retreat to grow their website in 2013. [CFC]
- You know and love Hollaback!, right? They're currently holding a fundraising campaign to enlist more members. Why not become a member today? [Hollaback]
- Women, Action & the Media's benefit auction is on, and the offerings—including VIP passes to a taping of The Colbert Report and a gift pack from Melissa Harris-Perry—are awesome.
- New Media Rights is raising money so that they can continue to give away free legal services to independent creators. [Indiegogo]
- WMM has been nominated for the Chase American Giving Award. They can win up to one million dollars! Help them out by casting your vote now. [Women Make Movies]
What have you been reading up on? Let us know.
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Trudy (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Kate Jones (not verified)
AnonymousToo (not verified)