On Our Radar: Gendered Toys, Superheros, and Katy Perry
Oh my—yet another week of F-bombs, pink shit, and sexism. Here's a roundup of nine of the best posts the Internet had to offer this week.
- A rad 13-year-old named McKenna Pope called out Hasbro for its blatant girls-only marketing of the famed Easy Bake Oven. This piece is about the genderization of toys and some advice for choosing to not follow suit this holiday season. [Autostraddle]
- While the boys are lacking in kitchen-friendly gadgets, they sure aren't missing from movies. Although Brave came out earlier this year, Margot Magowan was wondering where the hell the rest of the girls in kids' films were. The girls are all seriously M.I.A. [Reel Girl]
- Feminists and Pinterest? Sound like an oxymoron? No way! But here are some pros and cons about being a feminist on Pinterest. [Gender Focus]
- "I'm not a feminist, but I do believe in the strength of woman." Yep, that's what Katy Perry said during her acceptance speech at Billboard's Women in Music Luncheon. Amanda Hess interviews Nona Willis Aronowitz about what it means to be a feminist, while Maya Dusenbery and Sesali Bowen talk about the importance of labeling ones self as a feminist. But we all know what Camille Paglia thinks! [Slate, Feministing, The Hollywood Reporter]
- Are you wanting to make like Beyoncé and get that special someone to put a ring on it? Amanda Marcotte weighs in on the sexist marriage proposal. [Slate]
- There's a super cool Tumblr called the Hawkeye Initiative that posts re-imagined male superheroes posed like female superheroes, and this is a write-up of it. [Tumblr, Wired]
- Nominations for the Trans 100 are open. Have someone you'd like to see on the list? Vote them in. [TransGriot]
- When tragedy strikes, the media focuses far too often on the the perpetrator. The Crunk Feminist Collective wants to change that, so they're telling the stories of Kasandra Michelle Perkins and Cherica Adams. [Crunk Feminist Collective]
- I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of Anita Sarkeesian or TED Talks. Her she is, talking about the harassment she faced after her Kickstarter campaign earlier this summer. [YouTube]
That's all, folks. What's on your radar? Share your links in the comments!
Comments2 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
HP (not verified)
Anonymous.. (not verified)
Anonymous1 (not verified)
Shakinboots (not verified)