BitchTapes: Twee as F*ck
Got the winter's-over-but-not-quite blues, friends? Well, we're here with a bunch of clap-happy twee pop to jingle jangle and shoo dee doo that frown right off your face!
1. The Magnetic Fields: "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side"
2. The Moldy Peaches: "Who's Got the Crack"
3. Camera Obscura: "Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken"
4. Mates of State: "Goods (All In Your Head)"
Shout out to my best lady friends from high school who used to blast this song in the car with me on our way to Sweet Tomatoes buffet!
5. Tilly and the Wall: "Fell Down the Stairs"
6. The New Pornographers: "Letter From An Occupant"
7. Times New Viking: "Teenage Lust!"
Okay, I admit that "I don't want to die in the city alone" is not the most twee of lyrics, but you have to give it to TNV because the jangle factor is really out of control here, plus there's an exclamation point in the song title!!
8. Dirty Mittens: "Arcadia"
Super duper cute band from arguably the twee-est of all cities (Portland, duh!).
9. Architecture in Helsinki: "It's 5!"
10. Tender Forever: "Well I Can Take It"
Props to Tender Forever (also from Portland, of course) for lyrics that mention the Slits, one of my favorite bands ever.
11. Islands: "Jogging Gorgeous Summer"
12. Belle & Sebastian: "Sukie in the Graveyard"
13. The Clean: "Tally Ho"
14. Lacrosse: "You Can't Say No Forever"
15. Pearl and the Puppets: "Because I Do"
16. Bears: "Never Have to Guess"
Thanks to fellow editorial intern Erica for this awesome song from a Cleveland band!
Note: We originally published this mix in January of 2011 but it's been raining so hard in Portland this week we needed to hear it again.
Comments18 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!