BitchTapes: The Future
I'm reading Woman on the Edge of Time for the Bitch Book Club (which meets next Tuesday night, if you're in the Portland area!), and it's got me thinking about the future. Most of it's not that bright-looking. Humans might be wrecking the planet, and nuclear catastrophe is one red button away. But then I thought: it's almost SUMMER here in the Northern Hemisphere! A future that's about to give us a couple months of sunshine, no matter how much other terrifying stuff it might hold, can't be all bad, right?! Plus, if futuristic music is any indication, at least we'll be groovin' toward apocalypse. This week's BitchTapes is full of music before its time.
1. Backdrifts (Honeymoon is Over): Radiohead- Almost everything Radiohead does is before its time somehow, in sound or in the way albums themselves are sold (pay what you can??). If space invaders ever get to Earth, I'll play this song to show I totally get where they're coming from.
2. Will2K: Will Smith- "What's gonna happen? Don't nobody know! We'll see when the clock hits 12 O O! Chaos? The cops gonna block the street? Man who the hell cares DON'T STOP THE BEAT!"
3. 1999: Prince- Androgynous, overtly sexual, mega-eccentric, and giving Gaga a run for her costume-money, Prince was decades ahead of his time. Wish I could have been at HIS millennium party.
4. 9 to 5: Dolly Parton- Dolly has been writing, singing, and looking like nobody's the boss of her since 1946!
5. All is Full of Love: Bjork- I'm fairly certain Bjork actually IS a creature from the future, come to prepare us for what's ahead. She is tuned into a frequency all her own, and her music, videos, and costumes aren't even comparable to the rest of contemporary music. If the future is really all full of love (and sexy kissing robots!), we've got a lot to look forward to.
6. Many Moons: Janelle Monae- It was a bold move for Janelle to hit the scene singing about being trapped in an oppressive underground society as a bunch of pre-programmed androids yearning for love, but hit it she did, and has never looked back. Also I hope we all do our hair like hers in the future.
7. Little Light of Love: R.X.R.A.- If a pattern seems to be emerging in this tracklist of songs about love winning the future-day, it's no accident. All I really want is for us to dye our hair orange, protect life, and get along.
8. Robots: Flight of the Conchords- You're glad that we're DEAD, Jemaine? That hurts. That hurts real bad. I hope future-bots are nicer than you.
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
ED (not verified)
HappyMan (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)
redeem147 (not verified)