BitchTapes: The Crying Game
We've been reminiscing a bit at Bitch HQ lately about Free to Be... You and Me. Remember that jam? Even if, like me, it aired before you were born, you're probably the product of its lovey message in some way or another. If not, it's not too late. Check out this video clip of Rosey Grier singing "It's Alright to Cry." Do it! It inspired this week's BitchTapes!
A powerful message, especially coming from a masculine-seeming type like Grier. We all know that men aren't "supposed" to cry. But Grier isn't the only man who'll admit to shedding a tear now and then. For evidence of this, here's a mix of songs by men, about crying.
1. The Crying Game by Boy George. Boy George really breaks it down here--he's logged some serious hours playing the crying game and this song proves he's a bonafide expert.
2. Crying by Roy Orbison. A classic man-crying-over-a-woman-but-doesn't-want-her-to-know track. Look for this theme in later tracks!
3. Lonely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson. Unlike Orbison, Jackie Wilson isn't afraid to own his tears. He just wants you to come home!
4. These Eyes by The Guess Who. These eyes may have seen a lot of loves, but that doesn't stop them from crying. Oh no.
5. Cry (Godley & Creme) by 10cc. If the one you love doesn't even know how to say goodbye, what other choice do you have? (This song is worth learning the lyrics to for sing-along purposes, btw.)
6. Crying Time by Ray Charles. You know what time it is.
7. Bitter Tears by The Magnetic Fields. Because sometimes bitter tears are all a man has to keep him going. Don't hold back, Stephin Merritt!
8. Tears Stupid Tears by Daniel Johnston. This one's a real tearjerker (the name was probably your first clue). One of the only songs about crying that I could find that wasn't strictly about a breakup.
9. Cry One More Time by Gram Parsons. Sometimes you know that something's over, but you have to let a few more tears fall before you can really move on.
10. The Tracks of My Tears by The Miracles. See #2 (I told you it would come back!).
11. I'm Not Crying by The Flight of the Conchords. Seriously! It's just raining (on my face)!
12. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure. Another classic. You know you swooned a little when your indie rock crush sang this at Karaoke. (That wasn't just me, right?)
13. Song Cry by Jay-Z. Even Jay-Z cries now and then. Let it out, Hov!
Dudes, thanks for subverting the dominant paradigm and singing for crying men everywhere. It's alright to cry!
Any other songs by men about crying that you'd like to share?
Comments9 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Jennifer Martins (not verified)
stellafin (not verified)
VJ (not verified)
VJ (not verified)
Anonymous (not verified)