BitchTapes: Surf Sisters
What other musical genre has its own sport? Much like the water-based activity its named for, surf rock is often almost always played by men. This BitchTapes is devoted to women surf musicians, including my best friend, who not only surfs, but tremolo picks like she's Dick Dale's daughter. (Bands containing men, for those of you girl group purists, are starred.) Listening to this why-can't-it-be-summer-yet summer mix, I hope you feel heat-induced calm, tidal anticipation, and even a little danger...enjoy!
1. Susan and the Surf Tones, "Tethys"*
2. Trashwomen, "Aphrodisia"
3. Pleasure Seekers, "Mr. Power"
4. The Neptunas, "Hallowave"
5. The 220.127.116.11s, "I'm Blue"
6. The Headcoatees, "Wild Man"
7. The Famous Monsters, "Hairy Eyeball"
8. Bambi Molestors, "Theme From Slaying Beauty"*
9. The Pandoras, "That's Your Way Out"
10. The Brood, "Too Late For Tears"
11. The Monster Women, "Heartshaped Scab"
12. Loose Tights, "Waves"*
For more, check out Kjerstin's Surf's Up mix! Thanks to everyone who recommended bands for this post. Who are your favorite female surf musicians?
Comments4 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Brittnie0710 (not verified)
Anonymous9 (not verified)
Lemonchilli (not verified)
EmHarsch (not verified)