Bitchtapes: Leading Ladies
While I like Iggy and the Stooges, Huey Lewis and the News, and Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, this week's Bitchtapes mix is dedicated to the women who front bands not just musically but by name as well. From country to soul, and the sixties to today, here's a pack of leading ladies to get your weekend going!
1. Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - Set Out Running
Before Neko Case sang with the New Pornographers and went onto a solo career that continues to be stunning, there was her country outfit that paired her powerful voice with honky-tonk.
2. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Cities In Dust
This goth-rock tune is super TGIF. Also I just learned that LCD Soundsystem was really influenced by Siouxsie.
3. Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers - Devils In Boston
Have you heard this song yet? It's not new anymore but it's still important that you hear this song! Cause it's really good.
4. Diana Ross & the Supremes - Love Child
The day I stop wanting to listen to DR and the Supremes is not a day I ever want to come.
5. Janis Joplin & Big Brother and the Holding Company - Piece of My Heart
This live recording is six minutes long but I never seem to notice.
6. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - It's Easy To Fall In Love (With A Guy Like You)
Again, great song and great to sing along to!
7. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Crimson and Clover
You know how "Bad Reputation" seems to be in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE now? More precisely when a female character does anything remotely rebellious? From getting an eXtreme haircut to shooting lots of guns, like in Kick-Ass. It's nice to be reminded that Joan Jett had way more going than that.
8. Thao and the Get Down Stay Down - The New One
This acoustic Daytrotter session version of one of their latest albums is a great listen!
9. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - How Long Do I Have to Wait for You?
Probably my favorite Sharon Jones song. Yep, no, definitely my favorite Sharon Jones song.
Comments7 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!