Freestyle, house, reggae, electronica... what do the subcategories of dance music have in common? Terrific female artists, for one! Welcome to a '90s-heavy BitchTape for a party, a pre-party, or just an empty office. This mix is on the longer side, but hey, when it comes to dance music, more is more!
1. "Ready to Go" by Republica
How could I not like a band that describes themselves as techno-pop punk rock?
2. "Show Me Love" by Robin S.
3. "Don't Go" by Le Click
Love that Spanish guitar!
4. "Finally" by CeCe Peniston
5. "Sweet Dreams" by La Bouche
When you think of '90s dance-pop music, this might well be the first song in your mind.
6. "When You Think About Me" by One Vo1ce
I grew up listening to this all-Filipina girl group from the Bay Area and still hear club remixes on occasion.
7. "Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit" by Gina G.
Are you dancing yet?
8. "10 out of 10" by Louchie Lou & Michie One
One of my all-time favorite groups makes counting sexy.
9. "Run Away" by Real McCoy
Really, any song off their Platinum & Gold Collection 1993-97 could have been in this mix.
10. "The Rhythm of the Night" by Corona
It's a town! It's a beer! It's a band!
11. "Can't Get Enough" by Soulsearcher
This is the song that made me think, Maybe I don't hate house music after all.
12. "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!" by Vengaboys
They're so goofy, but it's part of their charm.
13. "Dreamer" by Livin' Joy
Did anyone else do routines to this song in jazz dance classes? No? Just me?
14. "Don't Call Me Baby" by Madison Avenue
"Behind my smile is my IQ."
15. "This is Your Night" by Amber
Amber is perhaps best known for the semi-controversial "Sexual," but my favorite tune from this Aussie's catalogue is her original breakout hit.
16. "More and More" by Captain Hollywood Project
Try to get this chorus out of your head. No, really, try!
17. "When I'm Gone" by Rockell
This came out in my junior high years, and I still remember Girls' Life (because it wasn't GL then) saying Rockell's music was so energetic it made them tired just listening to her. But THAT'S THE BEST PART!
18. "Faster Kill Pussycat" by Oakenfold & Brittany Murphy
Our last track is, amazingly, the only one not recorded in the 1990s. The dearly departed Ms. Murphy shows off her impressive vocal chops.
Comments5 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Passbook passes online (not verified)
Anny Mouse (not verified)