BitchTapes: For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear
New Year's Eve is a tricky holiday. While a night set aside for dressing fancy, toasting to a maybe-great future, and counting down to a kiss with someone cute should equal the best time ever, it can quickly turn into a stress-filled letdown that leaves you walking home barefoot in the slush because you couldn't get a cab, uncomfortable shoes in hand and false eyelashes sliding down your cheeks like a sad Living Classics version of a Picasso portrait. (Just me? Doubtful.)
Like it or not, tomorrow is New Year's Eve, and whether your plans include living it up at a fancy champagne party or stuffing your cat into a shiny paper hat (or both!), you'll need some tunes to set the mood. Here are a few songs that are about this most loaded of nights—in party order from plan-making to waking up the next day, of course.
- "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" by Ella Fitzgerald. A classic song by a classic lady to kick things off right. Before you head out you have to make a plan! And you should ask your crush to join you!
- "New Year's Eve" by conjen. Because sometimes New Year's is kind of a bummer, but you still have to figure out what to wear (all black, if you're conjen).
- "Happy New Year" by Camera Obscura. The bittersweet party begins.
- "New Year's Resolution" by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas. Set your resolutions quick! Mine: To somehow sound as cool as this song in 2012.
- "New Year's Prayer" by Jeff Buckley. Some hopes that next year will be better than this one.
- "Funky New Year" by The Eagles. The champagne is kicking in at this point.
- "Happy New Year" by ABBA. Said champagne has turned your frown upside down and into a Swedish pop hit!
- "New Year's Eve" by The Knife. Let the Swedish dance party continue!
- "Countdown" by Beyoncé. Not explicitly about New Year's Eve, but who better to host your countdown than B?
- "The Final Countdown" by Europe. Oh I know, Europe! (Psst stand next to the person you want to kiss in 5... 4... 3...)
- "Auld Lang Syne Remix" by Mariah Carey. We'll take a cup of kindness (and a side of overly long techno remix) yet. Happy New Year!
- "New Year's Kiss" by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. Just in case you wake up with some, er, regrets.
Be sure to let us know your fave New Year's songs in the comments, and Happy New Year!
Comments5 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Mrs Crystal Morgan (not verified)
q____q (not verified)
Marymary (not verified)
Marymary (not verified)
SarahBR (not verified)