Bitch Tapes: Songs about Sailors
Maybe it's Fleet Week (or perhaps Pride Week?), but I themed this playlist around sailors. Plus I've always found something very Romantic (with a capital R, if you didn't notice) about the sea and sailors--longing for someone who's not only far away, but far away indefinitely. As quirky a (loosely-based) theme as it seems, it led to some great tracks, from surprising covers to traditional folk tunes.There's something about the way love lost at sea combines dark tragedy with unrequited romance that inspires good tunes!
1. Camera Obscura - French Navy. The first song off of Camera Obscura's new album has been stuck in my head every day since I first heard it. AND I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.
2. The Blow - Why Don't You. There's nothing in this song about the briny sea wind mingling with your tears, but it is about long distance love, and I think rolling vocals keeping beat in the background kinda conjure up the waves! It's like a seashell up to your ear, but sad.
3. The Be Good Tanyas - Lakes of Pontchartain This traditional song always gets me! A marauder finds brief love in Louisiana only to find that she herself longs for a sailor. I'll drink all health to that!
4. The Sabras - La Bamba Whenever I'm tired of listening to Los Lobos (rarely), I turn to the Sabras, an Israeli-American band from the '60s! Make no mistake though, they're no son marineros, son capitanes! (Interesting fact: this is not the only Israeli surf rock in my music collection).
5. Ida - Boots of Spanish Leather This is a Bob Dylan song that used to make me cry just thinking about the dang thing, and has been covered by many other performers, including a great version by Nancy Griffith (thanks, my mom's music collection!). I like this version because of the kind of dialogue that emerges.
6. The Magnetic Fields - Deep Sea Diving Suit Is there a playlist the Magnetic Fields can't find themselves on? (No.)
7. The Get Up Johns - Deep Blue Sea. Another traditional little ditty that sounds way more cheery and upbeat than the lyrics, which deal with gut-wrenching pain and heartache.
8. Nina Simone - Suzanne The third and final cover featured here is the one and only Nina Simone beautifully transforming Leonard Cohen's ballad "Suzanne" (I know, right? You didn't even think that was possible!). This song is upbeat, but still very moving. I mean, Jesus was a sailor, I think Suzanne is too, there are children in the morning OH GOD IT'S ALL SO BEAUTIFUL.
Do you have any favorite sea-faring shanties? Old or new?
Comments12 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
midge32 (not verified)
Alice A (not verified)
Jason Breen (not verified)
Jason Breen (not verified)
Betty_Smith (not verified)