Keep Bitch in Print: A Special Message to Male Bitch Supporters!
It's a privilege and an inspiration to be a male-identified person working for Bitch Media. Everyday we draw attention to the thousand of ways our heavily mediated and consumer-oriented culture teaches us to segregate and discriminate by gender. Moreover, we promote a feminist perspective that empowers women—and men and transgender individuals—to rise above the painful and ridiculous stereotypes and be true to ourselves. I'm so proud to be a small part of it.
Today I'm calling on other male-identified Bitch supporters to do their part. Bitch, like feminism in general, is not and cannot just be for women. Reclaiming our identities from the pigeonholing messages we receive daily from a young age from our culture is a project for all of us, regardless of our gender, racial identity, or background.
Let's face it: Men are underrepresented in their support for the feminist movement. A lot of men believe that feminism is just for women, or at least that they don't have a constructive role to play. I'm here to tell you that's a bunch of hooey, and to thank all the men out there who speak up about sexism's impacts. From the girl that's taught she can't be ten times better with power tools than I am (admittedly not too remarkable of a feat in my case!), or the boy who's taught that it's not cool to play unicorns and faeries, we're all hurt by omnipresent gender messaging and we've got a part to play in challenging it. And men, coming from a privileged place in society, have great responsibility in helping to undo this mess.
I'm asking every guy reading this today to put your money where your mouth is. If you support keeping one of the strongest, wittiest, and most consistent voices in feminist media in print now is the time to show it.
Here are five ideas for how you can do so:
1. Are you supporting Bitch or just browsing? I gotta say it: flipping through your friend's copies of Bitch or buying it from the store every so often doesn't cut it. If you don't subscribe, it's time to do so. If you read someone else's copy, how about donating $25 for the cost of a subscription?
2. Friend on the fence? That certain male friend you've got out there—you know the one—who's on the fence about feminism? Let me suggest a surefire cure: buy him a gift subscription!
3. Thank your feminist inspiration. How'd you first get acquainted with feminism? If it was a friend, a mom or a sister, a teacher, or your community library, Give them the gift of Bitch.
4. Are you in with us for the long haul? Men are sadly underrepresented in demonstrating their long-term commitment to Bitch—if you're committed to our mission, the best way to show it is by joining the B-Hive and becoming a monthly Bitch sustainer.
5. Don't keep your feminism silent! Forward and repost articles from independent feminist media to your friends, family and co-workers (and don't forget to mention that they can get four great copies of Bitch mailed to them each year by subscribing)!
Thanks for your support, men of Bitch! Let's see if we can get 100 new subscriptions and sustainerships from male readers today!
Comments28 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!