A Short List of Abortion Rights Restricted This Week
There have been so many political fights over abortion access this week that it has been overwhelming to try and keep up on what's happening where. In case you haven't been able to keep straight which douchebags are restricting rights in which states, exactly, here's a quick rundown of what's new in reproductive rights issues this week:
• Today the Texas House approved the much-talked-about HB2 bill that will effectively shut down all but five abortion clinics in the state of 26 million people. Now the bill is heading to the Senate—here's information on how to contact your legislator if you live in Texas, or anyone can send an email to Governor Rick Perry here.
• In North Carolina, legislators this week slipped anti-abortion measures into a motorcycle safety bill. People mad about the abortion restrictions and other conservative measures that would hurt low-income folks have been gathering at the Capitol building for a protest called "Moral Mondays"—64 people were arrested in this week's protest.
• Federal representatives tacked a rule onto a budget bill that would ban Medicaid coverage of abortions for low-income women in Washington DC. This is especially egregious given that DC residents have no voting members of Congress.
• Ohio is still reeling from the host of abortion restrictions their governor signed into law last week, including a rule mandating that women get ultrasounds before they have an abortion—a policy Tea Party leader Jim DeMint described as an "opportunity" for a free ultrasound. The only bright spot on that horizon is this great new video spoofing the ridiculousness of the law.
• But wait! There's actually good news in Wisconsin, where a judge stopped the enaction of a restrictive new anti-abortion law that Governor Scott Walker signed on July 5th. The law will be on hold while Planned Parenthood files suit.
Woof. All this news makes clear that what's happening in Texas is just an example of what's happening in legislatures all over the country.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments0 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Diana (not verified)
Sean (not verified)
CapeTown (not verified)
ashashash (not verified)
Comment Name (not verified)