20 Feminist Halloween Costumes
It can be hard to find a good costume, what with the current trend in sexy cheeseburgers. Don't worry, here are 20 great costume ideas.
1. Any of the amazing characters from Adventuretime. (image via American Cosplay Paradise)
2. Kaylee from Firefly. (image via The Mary Sue)
3. Cindi Mayweather (AKA Janelle Monae). (image via Degenerate Art Stream)
4. Harriet the Spy. (image via Audio Helkuik)
5. Buffy and Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (image via Shadowlocked)
6. A NuvaRing. (image via Ninja Raiden)
7. Olivia Pope from Scandal. (image via Madame Noire)
8. Agent May from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (image via Hitfix)
9. Emma Goldman (image via Take Back Halloween)
10. Senator Wendy Davis. (image via RH Reality Check)
11. A pack of birth control and an egg. (image via Planned Parenthood)
12. Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. (image via tr.robinson)
13. Amy Poehler and/or Leslie Knope and/or Rosie the Riveter. (image via My Friend the Television)
14. Xena from Xena: Warrior Princess. (image via Djwudi)
15. Lieutenant Abby Mills from Sleepy Hollow.
16. Mako Mori from Pacific Rim. (image via Pacific Rim Wikia)
17. Jane and Daria from Daria. (image via Refinery 29)
18. Artemis (image via Take Back Halloween)
19. Korra from Avatar: Legend of Korra. (image via Downtown Traveler)
20. Women laughing alone with salad. (image via The Hairpin)
And for dudes, Kristen Schaal recommends: Sexy Hollywood producer.
Also, here are some ideas about what NOT to dress up as.
If you want more discussion of Halloween, our new podcast episode Dress Up talks about sexy Halloween costumes with Portland fashion designers and the power of costuming with cosplayers.
*Editors Note: We originally had a picture of the cast from Orange is the New Black. This was an insensitive inclusion that we did not think through and have removed it. Thank you to the commenters that pointed it out.
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
Comments56 comments have been made. Post a comment.
Have an idea for the blog? Click here to contact us!
Abby Lorenzo (not verified)
miffty (not verified)
joana (not verified)
AON (not verified)
Bannef (not verified)