Happy Friday! Here's what we're reading today:
• Emmy nominations blow away Oscars with number of queer and black women nominated. [Autostraddle]
Good morning! Here’s the news on our radar today.
• In a speech before the NAACP, President Obama calls for criminal justice reform, including reviewing the use of solitary confinement and eliminating mandatory minimum sentencing. [Time]
Good morning, everyone! Here is what’s on our radar today.
• The Pentagon announced it will now allow transgender individuals to serve in the U.S. military. [Time]
Happy Tuesday morning, folks! Here's what we are reading today.
• The U.S. might soon join the ranks of 18 other countries that allow transgender people to openly take part in the military. The Pentagon is working on a plan that is expected to materialize early next year. [The NYT]
• John Metta wrote an excellent essay about why discussions of racism in the United States are far too often just about white peoples' feelings. [Medium]
It's Friday! Here's what we're reading:
• A new study, “The Sexual Abuse to Prison Pipeline: The Girls’ Story,” finds that as many as 80 percent of girls in juvenile justice systems have a been sexually or physically abused. [Rights4Girls]
Good Thursday, everyone! Here’s the news on our radar this morning:
• After more than 50 years of waving this symbol of violence, South Carolina State House approves a bill to remove the Confederate flag. [NY Times]
Halfway through the week! Here’s the feminist news you need for the day:
• Colorado’s plan to give free long-acting birth control to teenagers and low-income women has been (not-surprisingly) a huge success at reducing unplanned pregnancies. [New York Times]
Happy Tuesday, y'all!
• Here's a quick guide to Greece’s financial meltdown. Also, Slavoj Žižek explains how its only hope in saving the "European Legacy" is by way of "democracy, egalitarian solidarity, and trust in people."[Washington Post and The New Statesman]
Hey, it's Monday! Here's what we're reading today:
• Congrats to the United States women's national soccer team, who took home a World Cup victory over the weekend! [Grantland]